Friday, November 11, 2005

Crystal Meth...

...also known as Crank, Ice or Tina.

I read a book this week called Crank. I couldn't put it down (sorta ironic isn't it?). It was written by a mother of a young woman with a drug addition. It is so scary. Working with teens and watching the news I hear about this drug all the time. Do you know about it? Do you know anyone it has touched? It is so frightening. For those of you that don't know exactly what it is...I will explain. Crystal Meth is a type of speed. You could even call it super speed. It comes in a few different forms. It can be snorted, smoked or injected. I guess each way gives you a different type of high (and low). It can be made at home with fairly common household items. I have heard people use all sorts of things including rat poison, laundry detergent, drano or other poisonous substances. Everyone has their own recipe. The dealers who make is are called Chemists in the drug world. It is very tempting for teens because it is everywhere...in every school, in every community, rich or poor, black or white, rural or urban...it's there. Don't be naive, it is in your back yard as well. I haven't tried Crystal Meth. It wasn't really part of the "scene" when I was wild and crazy. I am thankful for that. But I do know it has effected so many people I know. From what I have read Crank gives you an amazing feeling of euphoria...well, at least the first time. You never really reach that again. A lot of teens do it to get the speed effect. It also increases sexual appetite. So you get a teen who is tweaked out on crank and chances are they are also sexually active. Very sexually active. Either way it is extremely addictive. People lose everything they have because of Meth. Others just lose their minds. Some lose thier lives. It is really awful.

If you are interested in reading the book it is called "Crank" by Ellen Hopkins.

1 comment:

Justiene said...

I actually have a lot of family members that are addicted to meth and yes it really is EVERYWHERE. I didn't realize how popular the drug is until I started my internship at stark county jail and that is what a lot of those folks are hooked on. But as for my family... My uncle is the one who is hooked bad, he has been in jail numerous times and he even cooks it in his home. He lost his wife and kids, and his home and business all because of this drug. Now he got more of my family hooked on it, like my aunt who already had enough problems (popping pills) and 3 more of my uncles as well all on my dad's side of the family, it has really torn them apart. My uncle mark he is the one that cooked it he is even loosing his mind, talking about God and weird stuff all the time. I remember one time I was talking to him and he swore that "Jesus was showing himself" on his arm. It was really weird, and there is so much I wish I could do for him but it is like he is already gone.