Monday, May 14, 2007

Happy Mother's Day....from my husband!

Can you believe I am posting again today? I have a little time and who knows when I will get the urge again so I thought I would write a little more today.

Last week I was talking to my friend, Jennifer - who is a new mom, and we were discussing Mother's Day. She was saying her husband would be gone the entire day because he was working. This is what I said...."Look, this is your first Mother's Day - that means it is your first year to be highly dissappointed." We laughed and went on talking about something else. Later that week I was talking to Jake and he was telling me about the trip he had been on the past week. He said the guys he was with were buying dresses, shoes, entire outfits for their wives. I had previously purchased windchimes that I told Jake could be my Mother's Day gift. It might seem a little presumptious but I figured if I was going to get something I'd have to buy it myself. So...when Jake was telling me about his co-workers purchases....well, I was getting a little.....let's say agitated. This is my 5th Mother's day and I don't think I've ever gotten a gift. I've recieved cards and last year I got flowers a week later, because I complained until he bought them. Now....let me set everyone straight. I am not writing this to bash my hubby. I think he is a great husband (overall). He washes dishes and helps out around the house. He is a wonderful father and the kids love him to death. But he is not that great of a gift giver. He is more of a doer - I am sure it has something to do with his Life/Love languange and I try to be understanding when I get a gift like a Dale Earnhart Jr. action figure - because he just doesn't know. BUT...when he is around other men that are lavishing their wives with gifts shouldn't he get a clue???? Well, I gave him a little "pep talk". Apparently something I said took hold. My Mother's day gift started on Friday. After he got home from work he took the kids and went shopping. That meant I had about an hour & a half by myself. I took a nap. I love naps these days. On Saturday, he bought me not one but TWO dozen roses. They are cream colored with lavendar filler. How beautiful. He bought them at BJ's so he got them at a bargain price (I liked that too). On Sunday morning the first thing out of his mouth was....Happy Mother's Day. How sweet that he remembered. I usually have to remind him what day it is. But he could hardly wait to give me my gifts. Yes....gifts. First was the card the Jude picked out and he and his sister both colored. It was sweet. Then the gift bag with a stroller and baby stuff on it (Jude picked it out). He had bought me this beautiful Willow Creek figure with a mom and two kids. It actually looks alittle like me and my kids. He also got me a couples devotional book for us to read together each day. And lastly, he got me a Natalie Grant CD, which I already have (ha ha ha). We will be taking it back. So the gifts were nice. But that isn't it.....he cooked. He made lunch and dinner. Both were grill prepared (of course) but delicious. He also did most of the laundry! Isn't that so sweet. On top of it all, I also got to take a nap. I wasn't planning it but he started watching NASCAR and off to zzzzzzzzzzz land I went...

I basically wanted to tell you all what a sweet husband I have and what a great Mother's day it was for me this year.

Oh, and I have a confession....I still haven't mailed my Mom's Mothers Day Card. I do have one though....I think it is the one I bought last year. Isn't that horrible. I did call her and talk to her for a while. I am going to go put that card in the mail right now.....

2 comments:

Courtney said...

I can totally relate to this post! In fact, I have a very similar post on my blog! lol My hubby is not a great gift-giver either. On my b-day I made my own cake and I cleaned up the dishes after dinner. Then he got MAD at ME for being a martyr about it. Ugh! Anyway, my hubby also did good this mother's day :) Glad yours did too!

Stephanie Appleton said...

I'm jealous! (Hint to Tim!)