Tuesday, July 29, 2008

The Last Few Days...

Where do I even begin? The last two days have been....a mixed bag of emotions. Yesterday was Mandy's calling hours and memorial service. Today was the burial. Although Mandy did not make the arrangements herself I think her funeral was exactly how she would have wanted it. Ken (our Pastor) had a great message about Mandy's faith and her strength. She had shared with him she was not afraid to die but she was worried about the anguish her loved ones would feel when she was gone. That is so Mandy. He shared that Mandy's greatest wish was for everyone she knew to accept Christ. You know, sometimes you go to funerals and you hear stuff like that and you think...wait a minute - I don't remember that person even having faith or talking about God. When they said these things about Mandy they were telling the truth. That is so cool. At the funeral they played really uplifting and comforting music....although it all made me cry my eyes out. They picked "I can only imagine" by Mercy Me. The chorus goes like this..." Surrounded by Your glory, what will my heart feel, Will I dance for you Jesus or in awe of you be still , Will I stand in your presence or to my knees will I fall , Will I sing hallelujah, will I be able to speak at all , I can only imagine." I feel so sad because I will miss Mandy but at peace knowing she is in a better place and rid of her cancer. In my mind I can see her so beautiful and restored, dancing in heaven. So, that was last night. Today was the burial. There were a lot of people there (oh, I didn't mention but there where hundreds of people at her funeral last night.). It was a bright and beautiful day. After the prayer, Mandy's nutritionalist sang one of my all time favorite songs "Praise You In This Storm". I've mentioned it here on my blog before. It is a tough one to listen to when you are going through the storm. I just stood there thinking of the times I sat and watched Mandy during the worship portion of church and how sometimes she would quietly cry but always praised through her storm. At the end of the graveside service there was a moment of silence and then someone started to clap and said "Well done Mandy", then everyone joined it by clapping. What a bitter sweet moment. Then everyone placed flowers on her casket and then there was a lot of hugging. As you all know...I am very uncomfortable with hugging but honestly I didn't even mind. Sometimes we all have to do things we don't really like. I've accepted that. After the service Mandy's friends and family went to a park and had lunch. It was fun. Is that appropriate to say? I got to meet several people I had only heard Mandy talk about before. We shared stories and ate. Mandy would have had a good time.

Please remember to keep Jon (Mandy's husband) and Sherry (her sister) and the rest of the family in your prayers.

1 comment:

tx sweetie said...

I am sorry to hear about Mandy.First few lines of reading ur post here,I thought Mandy was already in her 60's.But you mentioned how old she were plus the photo of her below saddens me because she left a baby that's still very young needing her mother's love and comfort.Plus the fact that she was only so young and died of cancer.

OH I'M SO SORRY..I'M SO SO SORRY!