Thursday, December 14, 2006

Thursday Thirteen #5 - "If I had a Million Dollars"

Haven't we all dreamed about what it would be like to come into a windfall of money. My husband and I are not much for gambling but we have played the lottery a handful of times since we married, when the prize is over 100 million dollars. One dollar is pretty cheap for the amount of sheer entertainment we got from it...you know, dreaming the dream. What would you do if you won (or were given) millions of dollars? Well, here is my list of thirteen things I would do if I won millions of dollars...


1. I would (obviously) pay off the debt. Student loans, credit cards, car notes...begone! We would never pay anything late again...because we wouldn't have anything to pay. Ahhhh...I feel freer just talking about it.

2. I would pay off debt for friends & family. I've always had this dream of anonymously paying off peoples bills. So, they go to pay their house payment but their balance is a big fat 0. How cool would that be? I guess it would be difficult to do without account numbers and all that but I would try.

3. Buy a House. A big but modest house...if that makes sense. An old farm house or something with character. It wouldn't have to be all Martha Stewart and fancy. I would just like to have space, storage and enough room to have lots of company. Oh, and the yard would have to be big. If you remember from my Christmas list I would like to have an art studio & a big garden...maybe even an alpaca. Who knows.

4. Buy the Millers (in-laws) new cars. These people (Applehead family included) drive thier cars until they are on their last leg (hundreds of thousands of miles). I think they all deserve shiny new cars...afterall it would last them for years to come.

5. Send my parents on a nice vacation. They went out west a few years ago and would like to go back. I'd put them up in the best hotels & they'd only eat at 5 star restraunts.

6. Build the coolest tree house you have ever seen for the kids (wink wink). So the yard would have to have a very big tree.

7. Leave outrageous tips for unsuspecting servers when I go out to eat. I was a waitress for 10+ years. I worked my rear off for every penny I earned (and then some).

8. I would give my tythe to the church.

9. Build a house for a family once a year. Seriously...you've all watched that show Extreme Makeover, where Ty goes out and builds a house for a family in need. Imagine what it would be like if more people and churches did that type of thing for people. You could build a modest house for $100,000 (at least in Northeast Ohio). Now, that is a lot of money to me but on a larger scale that is just a drop in the bucket. I realize it is a very liberal idea but I firmly believe it is our job to help others.

10. I would have a housekeeper. Enough said.

11. I would have fun. Seriously without debt hanging over my head, worrying about making money and keeping the house clean (I use the term lightly) - I could just have so much fun...focus on the good things in life.

12. I'd like to be one of those people who goes around passing out 100 dollar bills to strangers. That would be great.

13. Travel...everywhere from the hills of West Virginia to Barbados.


Isn't it fun to dream? What would you do with all that money?

For more Thursday Thirteen's go HERE.

8 comments:

Michelle said...

I see you're very generous with your millions! That's very sweet!

Happy TT!

I’m up!

Anonymous said...

Now I like the thought of building one house every year for someone less fortunate. I like that one alot.

I would travel tons if I won a lot of money.

Bubba said...

After that list, if I ever win the lottery...you could be my money manager. Everything you've put in the list I agree with!

Happy TT!

Anonymous said...

Hey Delilah, what about throwing some of that money my way???
Aunt D.

Tim Appleton (Applehead) said...

thanks for the thought. I would accept any car given.

Rashenbo said...

Heheh, I soooo need to win the powerball. There are so many things I want to buy!!! :)

Cheers and Happy TT!

Unknown said...

this is a fun list..i may have to use this after christmas..you have some great ideas

Papaw said...

New car? I'm sorry but I'd have to reject the offer, unless you would give me permission to sell it. I couldn't afford to pay the annual personal property taxes on it in West Virginia!