Two days later, Jude asked me if I was going to pottery class that evening. I told him I was. He sounded disappointed. I thought it was sweet...he was going to miss his mommy. I said, "Why? Are you going to miss me?" He said, "No, I wanted you to make funnel cakes again." Isn't that something? Anyhoo....here is the recipe. I think I made 7 funnel cakes and total it cost me less than $5.
YUMMY Funnel CakesIngredients
- 3 eggs
- 2 cups milk
- 1/4 cup white sugar
- 3 2/3 cups all-purpose flour
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- In a medium bowl, mix salt, baking powder, and half of the flour. Set aside.
- In a large bowl, cream eggs, sugar and milk. Add flour mixture and beat until smooth. Continue to add remaining flour, but use only enough to achieve desired consistency. Batter will be thin enough to run through a funnel.
- In an eight inch skillet, heat the oil to 375 degrees F (190 degrees C).
- Put your finger over the bottom opening of the funnel, and fill the funnel with a generous 1/2 cup of the batter. Hold the funnel close to the surface of the oil, and release the batter into the oil while making a circular motion. Fry until golden brown. Use tongs and wide spatula to turn the cake over carefully. Fry the second side one minute. Drain on paper towels, and sprinkle with sifted confectioners' sugar or cinnamon sugar.