Friday, December 23, 2005

Catching Shooting Stars, Smelling Skunks & Singing About Sexy Tractors

We made it. We are in Tennessee. It was a crazy trip. We weren't going to start until 8 P.M. We figured it would be better for the kids. You know...they'd sleep the whole way. Jake got off work at 2:30 P.M. We had a lot to do before we left. I tried to make beef jerky during the day. That was going to be my home-made gift for the guys. Well, let me tell you...I will be buying gifts for them this year. The beef jerky tasted like pressed wood with seasoning on it. I wasted A LOT of meat. Either way, I smelled like a big stick of beef jerky. YUCK. So, I needed to stop at the mall, post office and we had to eat. We decided it was best to start the trip earlier. I am not sure what time we headed out but it was daylight still. I ran in the mall while Jake took the van and filled it up with gas. We swung by Burger King and got some food to go. It really was much more complicated that it sounds but I don't have time to give you all the details because I want to get to the good stuff.

We were driving for some time when I looked at my husband. He was driving and I swear he was asleep. I was like...pull over, I'll drive. He said OK. We have been married for almost (in one week) 4 years and he has only ever let me drive ONCE. And that time I scared him and he insisted I pull over to let him drive. I have horrible night vision and I will admit am a little scary behind the wheel in the dark. But he was that tired! We weren't even in Columbus yet. The next 4 hours were horrible. We stopped every half hour. Jude had to go to the bathroom. Elise was crying. Jude was crying. Jude dropped his sippy cup. We couldn't find the binky. The kids were crying. Jake was way too tired to see the humor in the situation. It was not fun. At one point (we were in Cinncinati) Jake said, turn around...we are going home. I told him he was crazy. Finally, at 11 P.M. my family went to sleep. All of them. Relief. I was driving along...just me and the radio. I had a complete steam of consciencous (sp????) moment. My head was filled with the most random thoughts. I guarentee there isn't one person (who I know), that reads my blog that I didn't think about. It was crazy. If I had a secretary taking notes straight from my thoughts they would make a book. I wanted to give you a small glimpse.

I was on I75 travelling south. I was quickly approaching the Corbin exit in Kentucky. It was like 2 in the morning. I was just driving along and I saw ANOTHER shooting star (see previous posts). It was enormous. Seriously. I actually saw a big ball of fire. It looked like it was coming at me. I did make a wish but of course I can't tell you. It wasn't for me though. It was one wish for two people. I'll let you know what happens. Either way, it was a very surreal experience. Shortly after I smelled a skunk. Every single time I smell a skunk I think of my friend Melanie. Not because she stinks but because one time we were going somewhere and we smelled a skunk. She told me she liked the smell of skunks. She is odd, but I guess some people do like that smell. So, now I always think of her when I smell skunks. If you want someone to always remember you...tell them you like to smell skunks. Well, I am still driving and all of a sudden I see this HUGE bird (parrot size) coming at our van. It was like dive bombing us. I hit it. I couldn't avoid it. It was brown and very big. My dad said it was probably an owl. Either way...I think it is a dead bird now. I made a little scream and it made a loud noise when it hit. That woke Jake up. By then he was pretty well rested and we started talking about crazy stuff. We were in Tennessee and at this point there wasn't anything coming in on the radio. So, I put in the Kenny Chesney CD. I love him. He has a great voice. I know you may be surprised that a girl who has been in numerous mosh pits and even staged dived would like country...but I do. Kenny is the man. He has a song called "She thinks my tractor's sexy". It is really funny. Each time I hear that song I think about he first time I saw my husband on a tractor. It was a couple of summers ago and my grandfather had been diagnosed with cancer. He was unable to take in the hay from his fields. My dad had taken over the work. While Jake and I were visiting he helped...and really enjoyed it. I saw the Amish in him for the first time. He looked so happy. My dad and uncle's joked that Jake was a real farmer. He really is (just like Paul Miller...sorry honey). The tractor did make him look sexy. So, when the song comes on I turn it up and sing it to him. He should be singing it to me but it is funnier this way. " She thinks my tractor's sexy...it really turns her on...She is staring at me....something something something....She's even kinda crazy 'bout my farmers tan...."

Have a good one.

3 comments:

Tim Appleton (Applehead) said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
delilah said...

Applehead- Your comment was my post pasted into the comment section. I can only assume it was a mistake. Try again.

Justiene said...

Your family is by no way sane or like any other, I think that is why people keep reading it. I like most people want to think my crazy life is the only one out there, but I find comfort in realizing that crazy things go on everywhere. This isn't a bad thing I like your crazy family. :)