Wednesday, December 21, 2005

The Days of Christmas...

Christmas is one of those significant days that you may actually remember what you did that particular day. I don't know...maybe I am weird but I can remember what I did for almost the last 10 years on Christmas. It is not always pretty....

2004- We had our "Christmas" with my family a week early and didn't celebrate with Jake's family until sometime after the 25th. So on the legal holiday, I cooked some food (I don't remember that part) and Eric came over. We basically sat around and did nothing all day. We did give Jude his Christmas gifts, which I really can't even remember what we got him. Jake bought me a camera and I got him a portable XM radio thing and some Xbox games.

2003- We stayed home. We celebrated on other days again.

2002- Jude's first Christmas. He was only 7 weeks old so it wasn't all that much fun. We went to Tennessee a few days earlier but decided to stay so we had Christmas in Tennessee with my family but didn't have our gifts with us. We did have a nice time.

2001- 4 days before our wedding. Jake and I exchanged gifts in the morning. He bought me a Bible & bath salts. I am sure there was more but I can't remember. And I can't recall what I got him. Either way, we headed over to Safe Landing and worked with the boys that day. They woke up and we let them open thier gifts. We had made stockings earlier in the week with them and we had stuffed them full of stuff that I bought, including a corny joke book. They had all kinds of other gifts that Dawn and Lisa had went out shopping for earlier. If my memory is correct Jake and I worked on Christmas Eve as well.

2000-I was single. I had spent the previous evening with some neighbors drinking a lot of wine, probably feeling sorry for myself. I spent Christmas alone puking and nursing a hangover.

1999-I worked at the Girls Safe Landing. It was fun. I had also been there Christmas Eve so I got to put out their Christmas gifts for them. There was only 2 girls there. I still remember them very well. I bought them teddy bears from Target and a whole bunch of other stuff...not that they needed anything because they had lots of gifts donated. I guess I just wanted to spend my money or spoil them. Ha. Later in the day, I tried to cook a turkey but it ended up in the trash. It wasn't pretty.

1998-My last Christmas in Vermilion. I went home to my parents house. We exchanged gifts and ate a lot of food. That evening Melanie and I went out to Uncle Vics (a big dance club/bar). I ran into this guy I used to know. He asked me out. I gave him my number and we agreed he would call. Can you believe he never did! Instead he gave my number to this other guy, who I had been friends with back in high school. That set off a series of unfortunate events in my life that I may or may not talk about in a later blog post.

1997- Had Christmas in Vermilion with my family. I returned to Peninsula that evening and my boyfriend, Luke the Polish man, came over and we exchanged gifts. I bought him this stupid movie he loved...I forget the name of it now, but I had to special order it. He bought me the game, Therapy. Yes...laugh all you want. He bought it because he was so facinated with me and my other Psychology major friends. He was an accountant. Every Tuesday we would all get together and hang out. He would just take it all in. So...he thought the game was a great idea. The worst part, for me was - he was not the first boyfriend to buy that game for me. Yikes. Yes, Mitch bought it for me in High School. I was really into Psychology early on...I would check out Psych text books from the library. I would make up personality tests to give to my friends. Hmmmm. I wonder what happened to that passion? Either way, I played Therapy and drank wine with Amanda (who bought me socks), Tiffany and Luke. It was the only time I ended up playing the game. I love it but after playing it once people would run in sheer terror if I mentioned the game. When Jake met Tiffany and my sister they advised him never to play it. I gave the game away on Freecycle this past summer to a girl who's brother is a Psych major. It was going to be a Birthday gift. By the way, Luke and I broke up before I even took my Christmas tree down. I guess I should have known with that gift.

1996- I had to ride home to Vermilion with Tiffany because I had lost my drivers license (another blog...another day). Mitch was in town and came over to visit, hoping to reunite. It didn't happen.

1995- I went home to Vermilion for Christmas break. I worked at Toys R Us and some clothing store at the mall. D.L. (see Deardelilah.blogspot.com) drove from Barberton to Vermilion, in snowy weather, to give me a gift and visit me on Christmas. I was pretty rude to him. I don't think he stayed very long. I told him he couldn't stay or something. I don't remember. Isn't that mean? I think I spent a lot of time with Duane and Guy that Christmas. I do remember Straight Edge Matt drove to Elyria to go to Toys R Us and ran into me. I had seen him at Kent but never talked to him. I gave him my number and we became good friends. He is a prosecuting attorney now, but we don't talk anymore.

1994- I was dating D.S. He proposed to me. I thought he bought me a coat but instead he gave me a diamond. I said yes but we broke up before he had the ring paid off. We never set a date. I have a theory...if you don't set a date within a month...you don't get married. It is a sign you aren't really interested in actually getting married.

Do you have any good Christmas stories? Can you remember? Hopefully you will make some good rememorable ones this year.

1 comment:

Justiene said...

Your 1994 sounds like my today. It has been over a year and we still haven't set a date, I told him that I wasn't even sure if he was the guy I wanted to spend the rest of my life with. A good christmas story would have to be when my grandfather was still alive, I am not even sure what year it was but it had to have been like 9-10 years ago. Anyway My grandmother was living in assisted living homes because my grandpa was in the hospital with cancer, he got to come home right before christmas but only for a short while, we all came (my mom and her 2 brothers and 5 sisters and all their kids and kids's kids) We were all there, have a great time exchanging gifts and remembering old times and laughing, it was the last christmas that was really meaningful to me. I have had a few close ones lately because of the kids and all but even that is hard because it isn't about love or caring, or waking up in the morning to see your childrens' faces when they may be at their mothers or we have to rush all day because we have to share them with another parent... but i do enjoy all the time spent with them, weven when they are bad....