Wednesday, February 21, 2007

What a Steal....

Yesterday my parents were in town for a very brief visit. My mom always likes to go to Gabriel Brothers while she is in the area. They don't have a Gabe's near her (well, nothing is really near her but there isn't one within a days drive!). Jake & I went to there on Saturday and I noticed they were having a clearance sale. Everything that had been previously marked down was now marked DIRT CHEAP!!! Everything marked $10 and under was now $1!!!! I wasn't really in the mood to dig through the clothes but I noticed they had an entire wall full of table cloths, shower curtains, curtains, sheets, etc.... I figured, if nothing else I would find some nice fabric. The first thing I stumbled upon was a 3 piece crib set. It is yellow (not my first choice) but I don't know what I am having yet and yellow would go with either. I haven't decorated a "nursery" for any of my children thus far but I do use a bumper on the crib. I gave my sister my boy one and she gave me her girl one. After two kids it isn't looking so hot. So, I figured for $1 I couldn't go wrong. The set came with the bumper, a crib sheet and blanket. Now, if $1 wasn't good enough....when I came home I looked the set up on line and they sell it at Babies R Us for $58!!!!!! Can you believe it? I wish they had more. I'd go back and buy them all...for gifts and to sell on ebay. That was my first find. Then I searched through the curtains. We have lived in this house since June and still don't have any window treatments. Really....I am not that into decorating. My style is plain. But I had been contemplating something for the windows for a while. I quickly found that most curtains were not the size I needed and if I did find the size...there was only one. Bummer???? No. I ended up buying a really long curtain that I can cut and sew (it is just a straight line) into valances for my kitchen and living room. Isn't that exciting? Then I bought an extra for the fabric. I ended up with A crib set, curtains for my kitchen, living room, extra fabric, a cheese shredder and more socks for Elise all for under $12!!!! I did breeze through the clothes and they had these Juicy Couture (very VERY expensive) sweatshirts that were missing zippers for $1. A Juicy hoody can cost up to $100 retail. I also found a pair of Lucky Brand jeans (retail $114) for $24.99. I called Jake and asked him if he wanted them and he declined because they had a little design embroidered on the pocket (apparently too metro for him).

Overall, it was a fun trip. Now I have to get that sewing machine out!!!

2 comments:

Heather said...

Man! I shoulda went to Gabes today! Did the one in Canton have the same sale? Is it over?

Stephanie Appleton said...

I used to Gabes all the time up there. I think I've only been once here. Not sure why. This might motivate me to go! What deals!