Tuesday, October 09, 2007

Book & Movie Review


I am not getting paid for this review in case you were wondering.

I love going to the movies. I've mentioned it before. When I was single I would go to the movies several times a week. Many times I would go alone. I always knew what the latest movies were and knew the release dates of upcoming ones. I guess you could say I was a movie buff. Well...things change. We all have to grow up and get our priorities straight. I probably spent money for my bills on movies. Anyhoo. When Jake and I go to Tennessee we always go to the movies. The theater down there shows first run movies for $3 on the week-end and $1 during the week. We have been known to see more than one in a day. It also helps that we have my mom to watch the kids. The bad thing about the theater is that it usually plays movies that draws in a lot of teens. It is really the only thing for those kids to do down there besides drive around the pole (long story). When we got to TN on Friday I started looking to see what was playing. I don't think I had even heard of any of the movies. One was 3:10 to Yuma. When I said it my mom and dad both said they wanted to see it because it was a remake of an old western. So that is the movie Jake and I picked. I figured any movie would be fine...but I wasn't excited about it at all. But I was pleasantly surprised. I LOVED it. I thought it was a great movie. It is rated R - it drops the F-bomb a few times and for the violence. Trust me - they didn't hold back when it came to the violence. If you saw "The Departed"...well, it was like that only a lot more dust. Russel Crowe is in the movie. I have never been a fan of his...until now. I really liked him in this movie - of course he played the bad boy and everyone knows how girls like the bad boys. Either way, I highly recommend the movie. If you can handle a little shoot 'em up bang bang then you will really enjoy it.

Now for the book review....

My sister recommended this book called "The Plain Truth" by Jodi Picoult. I got it and devoured it in only three days. I stayed up late reading this book and found myself reading it in the middle of the night long after Avery was done eating. It is about this Amish family and a lawyer. That is really all I am going to tell you. The Amish family is an older order Amish. The author must have done a lot of research because she was pretty accurate about the Amish but...I will say she did sensationalize the whole "honesty" and "forgiving" aspect. She even talks about their gas lighting. Either way it is a great book. Yesterday I went to the library and got another book by the author. I will let you know if it is as good.

No comments: