Sunday, March 26, 2006

Can you feel the WORSHIP???

It's something I have been thinking about lately. Do you sing in church because that is just how it is done or to sing praises to God? Is it to perform or celebrate? It is different for everyone. Some churches don't even use instruments. Jake and I went to a church once where it sounded like a rock concert (complete with people dancing in the isles) on a Sunday morning. Either way, the presence of God isn't about what you are singing, how you are singing it or if it is or isn't a performance. It is about what is in your heart. Really in your heart. So, I have been thinking about this so much. I want the people in our church to really feel something. Sometimes I wonder if they do. Not because I am questioning them or their faith....but because we (I will include myself) are not very expressive. So, today we visited The Vineyard in S. Charleston. It is a cool church. The music was awesome. Five years ago I may have broke out into hives if I had to sit through the worship there. There was a man dancing with a flag. There were people raising their hands in praise/prayer. I heard a few "thank you prayers" said out loud! As I looked around I didn't see any perfect people. Far from it. No one was dressed up all fancy. I saw a room full of once broken people who are now full of Grace. And so thankful. A couple of weeks ago I heard this girl (a very wise and funny girl) say that it seems as though people who have had the most grace in their lives are more willing to give it out than someone who hasn't had to have as much (everyone needs some, since we aren't perfect). So I really felt the presence of God. Don't you love when that happens? So, as we were sitting there, I decided to take a look at the bulletin. On the back there was this "written sermon". It didn't have anything to do with the real sermon of the day but it was titled "Overcoming Worthless Worship" by Greg Myers. I am not sure if he is someone famous or just a local guy but I read it intently. It is really long so I won't rewrite it out but a few things popped out to me are this...."Punctuate every moment with inward whisperings of adoration, praise and thanksgiving." Have many different experiences of worship (Worship God alone, with your spouse, a friend, your family, small group or work lunch group). And Cultivate a holy dependency. Those are just three small points but just think how meaningful our worship could be if we just changed a few things. Seriously.

Either way, good service today. Great music. Loved it. I did miss our Church today though. I also missed hearing Mr. Looman lead worship. I have already heard rave reviews! I hate going out of town on the week-ends now. We miss out on so much. We also missed our small group. I really hated that. But in the end we got to spend time with the family which was pretty uneventful. I will write about it and post pics Monday when I get a chance.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Have you ever heard someone say, maybe a minister, when you get Born Again, you get a new heart? It's really true, it's not something others see but you sure know it, because old things really do pass away and all things become new! Guess you are getting a little insight to why Grandma Wright was so happy and content, right? She didn't have the riches of this world, but look what she left behind. I think you may be reaping some of her "riches" now. Wouldn't it be wonderful if we all could leave behind such a great inheritance to our family and friends as she did!

Love Aunt D.

Stephanie Appleton said...

I can't believe you posted last night after you drove home! It was great having you down! I was exhausted though! We were in bed by 10:00!

~Jacki said...

It is so ironic that you posted this! It is something that I just sent an email to a friend about. I'll tell you more about it next time I talk to you. But I was weirded out when I went to your blog and saw the title. I was like "Hey wait, wasn't I just talking about that?"