Friday, March 03, 2006

Fear...

Do you have any real fears? I guess everyone is afraid of something. When I was a young child (second grade) my neighbors house caught on fire and burned. It wasn't burned to the ground but it was gutted and completely destroyed. It happened one morning and they brought the kids to our house. Christie actually had burns on her....I don't really remember all the details exactly. I do remember I wasn't allowed to go outside so I went in my sister's room and looked out her window. I was standing on her bed, on my tip toes to see outside. I mostly only saw a lot of smoke. I don't even remember seeing the firetrucks or anything. The next day I went over with my parents and walked through the charred remains of the home. I can almost smell that burnt smell in my memory. It wasn't a campfire type scent....it was more violent. That my be the root of my fear. That awful smell. Either way, I have been afraid of house fires ever since. When we worked at Shelter Care we had to go to this fire safety training each year. Lt. Bragg would come out and talk about all the things you shouldn't do in your homes and how to keep your family safe. I always left paranoid my house was going to burn down. So, I do think about it often. What fears do you have?

No comments: