Wednesday, March 01, 2006

Dating Rules

I am at a really fun school this week. One of the homework assignments I give to the kids is called The Dating Rules. They have to come up with 5 rules for dating and their parents have to come up with 5 rules for dating. It is to encourage them to talk to their parents and to let them see pretty much most parents have similar rules. I was reading the rules today and laughing because some of them were so funny. Here are some of the rules the kids wrote....(remember these are 7th graders).

  • Don't slurp your drink.
  • Don't make the first date too good because then your date with always expect it to be good.
  • Walk on the side closest to the road, so if a car drives by and spashes your date won't get wet.
  • Always use your napkin.
  • No spending the night at your date's house.
  • Make sure you know the person you are going on a date with.
  • No talking on the phone for more than 30 minutes.
  • No dating boys with too many piercings or tattoos or different colors of hair.
  • No kissing until you have dated for a month.
  • Parents and all of my friends have to meet and approve of my date before we go out.
  • No holding hands on the first date.

Funny Parent Rules...
  • No dating until age 30.
  • No breaking any laws.
  • Always listen to what your date is saying and remember to include her in activities and coversations when your friends are around.
  • Don't do anything you can't tell your parents. I expect a full report when you get home.
  • Only go on a date with someone you have known for at least a month.

I don't think my kids are going to be allowed to date until they are 18. I don't think that is unreasonable. Less to worry about. Ha ha.

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

Kara will not date until she is at least 16 and then only group dates. Individual dates when she is 18.

Am I overprotective or what???

Brad

Jake said...

I knew this guy in high school that wasn't aloud to date while in high school. I thought it was the stupidest thing, but looking back he had a lot of healthy relationships with females.

Jude or Elise won't beable to date ever, we are going to pre-arrange their marriage.
;-)

Stephanie Appleton said...

Yeah whatever happened to arranged marriages? Seems like a pretty good idea now! I am sure it will seem even better in about 10 years! :)

Anonymous said...

We thought pre-arranged was a great idea, too. But for some reason on one else in the family thought so about 10 years ago!!!
Actually, I like the way some cultures handle dating with only group dating until a certain age, then chaperoned single dating or approved dates after that. We have a friend who wanted to date a girl from the Phillipines - he had to get approval from her entire family before even going on a date - and they were both over 30. It's worked out wonderful for them.

Mamaw - Mom - Linda

~Jacki said...

So, Brad, I'm curious to know how old LOgan has to be before he can date. Is it the same for him as it will be for Kara? Elisabeth can date as soon as she gets married. (Even though Daniel has already told me that they are getting married).
~Jacki

Anonymous said...

Jacki - Logan can date after high school but I will keep a close eye on him.. I know how boys can be! lol.