Monday, January 30, 2006

Jarhead (Ex-men Monday Part 3)

This is a long story. I know my last two posts have been quite lengthy. I hope you don't mind. What I am about to tell you is a very REAL story that actually did happen in my life. You are going to think it is something out of the movies. So, grab a cup of coffee, prop up your feet and enjoy be entertained by my crazy past....

I have mentioned during high school I dated Mitch. I told you his real name before I came up with the idea to conceal identities. I probably won't talk about Mitch more than what I have already told you because....well, I guess it is just much to personal. Either way, I digress... While dating Mitch we worked at the Haunted School House in Vermilion. It was fun. (Note to self...never let my kids work there!) Mitch and his dad had worked there for years. While working there I got to know Jarhead. He was Mitch's friend. Jarhead was actually my age (Mitch was almost 4 years older). My junior year Jarhead was in one of my classes. We became friends. We would talk all the time. I would tell him my Mitch troubles and he would tell me things Mitch was doing behind my back. When Mitch and I broke up Jarhead and I remained friends. We started hanging out together. I knew he liked me all along but pretended Ididn't know. One time I was reading my old journals and I even talked about how I really liked him and thought I should be dating him instead of Mitch. Well, time went by and Jarhead started dating this other girl. She always hated me. She thought I was some sort of huge threat. A year after graduation he and the girl broke up so he started calling me again. He joined the Marines. A day or so before he left he called me asked me on a date. I said yes. I was really excited because I had always liked him so much. He picked me up and we went to the movies to see "The Last of the Mohicans". During the movie we were talking and he somehow we started talking about gays in the military. He called them fags. I made him take me home...right then, in the middle of the movie. I couldn't believe somone could be so mean. He left for the military and we didn't talk. I ran into his sister about a year later and she told me Jarhead had reunited with his old high school sweetheart and they got married. I was a little sad but not that sad. Well, years go by...I started thinking about him. I had this dream...I was at this pizza shop and I saw him. I ran up to him and told him I was so sorry for being immature...and explained he was my one true love (gag now). I tried to look him up, not to break up his marriage. I was not into that kind of stuff. We had been friends, I was sure his wife would be over her jealously issues, after all, she was married to him. Well, I didn't find him. Oh well. After my sisters wedding I was walking around with Rick (a friend) and there was Jarhead and his lovely wife. We chatted small talk. He was out of the military and living a happy little life. I smiled. Rick asked who he was....I said Oh just an old friend from high school.

Another year or so goes by...Melanie and I go to the bar on Chirstmas (see previous post). I ran into this guy and he asks me out (sound familiar???). I gave him my number. A week later Jarhead called. He explains that he and his wife were going through a divorce and how horrible she is blah blah blah.... I should have let that be our only conversation. It wasn't long before Jarhead and I were a serious couple. Months go by....I start to think he was lying to me about all sorts of stuff. Everyone thought I was crazy. He was such a nice guy, why would he lie about anything. Just to give you an idea. One time we were at Screwy Louies (a bar in Kent), I went to the bathroom and he went to buy us drinks. As I walked out of the bathroom, I saw him totally hitting on this girl. Arm around her and everything. I let him talk his way out of it. I don't know why.

In the mean time my friend started dating his room-mate. It made for a big (BIG) mess. Jarhead had become friends with my friends and family. We broke up and got back together a couple of times. My friend knew all kinds of stuff he was doing but never told me. I guess she was afraid her boyfriend (or whatever he was to her...she had another serious boyfriend back at college) would get mad. Or maybe she just didn't want to break my heart. I don't know. I have always wondered. Well, Jarhead and I were back together and things were going slow...but well. I was happy not to have the intesity. He lived in Vermilion and I was in Peninsula. It was nice. Well, on the 4th of July, Melanie was having a "apartment" warming party. Jarhead was going to the islands (Middle Bass Island in Lake Erie). I didn't want to go because he was going with a bunch of his buddies and I wanted to go to Melanie's party anyways. We agreed he would come to Peninsula the next day and that was fine with me. So the next day he comes down and he tells me this story about meeting this girl I know from college. My old room-mate. Sam. We laughed about what a small world it is. Ha ha ha, right? Well, after he left, his friend, Lucas (another old friend from H.S.) called to talk to Tiffany. I said, I have a crazy story about what happened to Jarhead. He said..."Oh I heard what happened..." It was something about the tone of his voice that I thought...hmmmm. So after T. finished on the phone I called Sam. She lived in Pittsburg at the time. I said Hello. She started laughing and said, "Oh my, I am such a slut." I was like what did you do? She said, "I met your FRIEND last night...I was so drunk....I don't even know what he looks like...is he cute????" I just sat there sinking in my seat. "Did you sleep with him?" "Yes." I didn't tell her he was my boyfriend. Why would I? She was pathetic enough. I asked her how in the world they figured out they both knew me. She said afterwords they were talking and she asked him where he was from...he said Vermilion. She said, "Oh my God...Do you know Delilah??". Wouldn't you love to see the look on his face at that moment? Priceless. I called him and of course he denied it. Needless to say we never dated again. He still talks about me to girls he dates (yes they tell me after he does similar things to them). He says I am a crazy girl. So a year or so later, he was dating this girl and somehow she ended up being a sub for one of the classes I was teaching in (again, small world). She kept pressing me for why we broke up. I just told her he was a nice guy we just didn't work out. I told her we had a fight over his trip to the islands. I didn't even go into the details. She started crying. I was like....what is going on, why are you crying over a fight I had with him? She said, "I was dating him then."

14 comments:

Anonymous said...

You need to write books and get paid!

Tim Appleton (Applehead) said...

Jarhead and the marines fit together nicely.

delilah said...

I wouldn't normally call someone from the Marines a "jarhead" but I think he really earned the title. Don't you?

Anonymous said...

Oh my, Well I'M sorry you had to go through that ordeal with him.

Isn't it nice that you can laugh about it now ??

I'm waiting to hear tomorrow how you love Tom Cavanaugh AGAIN!

:)

Anonymous said...

No real comment due to past relationship incidents. Lord only knows all the stuff ive been through

G.

toys r us kid(s) said...

But remember when he changed my tire in the freezing cold snowy night at like 3am? Aliens must have abducted the REAL Jarhead that night. What a jackass-always was, always will be! You can just tell by looking at him, sorry! But look where it got you! You have a wonderful husband, marriage, and children now! Everything happens for a reason, all events connect us to who/what we are today! A sucky experience, but obviously taught you some things and helped you to eventually snag the right guy!

Anonymous said...

We must seem like half normal people compared with some of the winners you dealt with? How did you pick such great guys? I may be biased but I think the guy you are with now is a super guy (in fact he reminds me a lot of his father)

~Jacki said...

Hmmm...I think I've heard that story before. But it will always amaze me. *CjOeUrGkH*. ANyways...Elisabeth wants to play with Jude (she asks about him every morning). Oh, and how do you get teh number of visitors to show up at the bottom of your blog?

Anonymous said...

Did you ever get a chance to confront the friend who never told you all that stuff? If so, what was the outcome and are you still friends now???

delilah said...

Answers...I can't remember if I ever confronted her. I guess in a non confronting kind of way...having her "on the inside" was awful during the break up. We probably had some big stupid fight over it and didn't talk for a month or something and then forgot about it when we had some juicy gossip or a party to go to. I haven't talked to her for a while.
Jacki...go to www.sitemeter.com and you can get a counter for free. It is easy to do. Jude just told my he wanted Elisabeth to come over so we will have to get together. Friday morning is "Moments".

delilah said...

Anonymous from Cleveland??? Who are you?

delilah said...

One more comment...Toys R Us Kids - I do remember that night. Do you remember those huge snakes he had? Albino boa's or something...he tried to get rid of them but couldn't so he took them to his back yard and chopped their heads off with a shovel then put them in the trash! They were like 10 feet long. My friend told me the second snake chased him after he offed the first one. Isn't that gross?????

Anonymous said...

I'm not anyone you know if that's what worries you. I'm just a blog reader (not a blogger) who saw your blog and that you mentioned Akron (where I'm from) and Kent, so I started reading. That's all.

delilah said...

It doesn't worry me. I just wondered if you did know me. I wish I could see who everyone is that reads the blog...I hate secrets and not knowing...it drives me crazy. Thanks for reading.