Monday, January 23, 2006

Phat Cat

Remember it is Ex-men Monday.

Mr. Cello dumped me in June and we had a series of break-ups that eventually ended with the "big"one he described, that was mid-July. By time it was the end I was so drained and emotionally beaten, I had to move on, fast... So I dated pretty soon after. Fortunately I had a few suitors who were just waiting to "console" me. I only went out with them until I thought they really liked me and then I dumped them. I started hanging out with an ex-boyfriend (who I will certainly post about some other Monday), who was in a band. He was the lead singer. Through him I met Phat Cat. He was a Drummer. Not for the lead singer's band but in another - he just hung out. He and I became friends. When I went to Kent, in the Fall, he moved to Massillon to live with his grandparents and go to Kent Stark campus. One day I was sitting in my dorm, bored out of my mind and he calls. He was downstairs. Over time he became my buddy. You know, the guy who hangs out with the girl and the girl tells him all her "secrets" and too much detail about the relationships she has. This is the guy the girl confesses to about how mean she is to the other guys, dumps them for things like being nice to her and treating her respectfully. Yes Phat Cat was that guy. He would come to visit me every Tuesday. We would have so much fun. We would order pizza and sit in the common area of the dorm. He would play me this Beatles song on the piano (In My Life). We went ice skating, ate Chinese food, checked out some local bands, talked about life and love. He met a girl he was crazy about. She was cute. He brought her to meet me once. My roommates dog licked her face and she broke out with red rashy hives. Her name is Lauren. I wouldn't doubt if she is famous now. She was going to school for theater. I think that was actually my second year at Kent. He would write me letters, as well. Long letters. I loved getting them. So, this goes on for a few years. I moved to Peninsula with Amanda and Tiffany. Man, we had some great parties. Parties with 100 people. Phat Cat loyally came to every "event" we planned. Those parties were the best. We would have name tags, themes, compilation tapes (background music), food, jello shots, kegs...... A lot of you were there. But we also had "bonfires". They were spur of the moment and usually involved our closest peeps. So, Phat Cat was hanging out at one of the bonfires. He told me he needed to talk to me before either of us had anything to drink. I thought he was going to tell me his mom was sick or something. He was very serious. So we walk over by the garage (next to the garbage cans). He says, "I am in love with you. I have been in love with you since we met and I can do this anymore." Uhhhhhhhh..... I was really blind sided. I had NO IDEA. Now looking back it all makes sense, I was always naive about stuff like that. Everyone else knew but me. I can't remember all the details surrounding our brief "dating" relationship. I was all messed up. He was my boyfriend for a while but I wouldn't tell anyone. It wasn't long before he was the guy I had all sorts of stuff to say about. We never really did break up. I think he just came to the understanding that I wasn't into dating anyone exclusively. I believed something about a caged bird. Silly now, I know. But he and I did remain friends. He joined the military and was stationed in Hawaii, where he met Ivan's brother (another crazy thing). I called him when Jake and I got engaged. He told me he was sad because he always thought he would end up with me. We emailed every now and then. Then he got out of the Navy. He called and we talked. It was after I had Jude and I can't remember what he said to me but I thought whatever it was, wasn't really an appropriate thing to say to Delilah Miller....maybe Delilah Wright but not Delilah Miller. That was the last time I talked to him. I did hear he is this deep thinking "philosopher" of sorts that hangs out in Oberlin. I assume he still plays the drums. He was good. The band he played in for like 5 years is actually kind of famous now, but he is not the drummer anymore. I think they got a new one when he joined the military. Anyways, that is Phat Cat in a nutshell. Not a big tragic romance yet, what I would consider, a significant part of my past.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I remember being "that guy" alot in high school.. the one who the girls told their "secrets" to.

It as good in a way.. I started to put what I learned to good use and now years later I have my beautiful jennifer !!! :)
Brad

delilah said...

Awwww. You are so sweet.