Sunday, February 19, 2006

The Fun of Leebrick Hall...

I didn't have time to type yesterday so I am going to tell you a Kent story today. After I moved out of Prentice Hall, I moved over to Leebrick Hall. It was a co-ed dorm with single occupancy drums. I happened to live on the 6th floor. The floor was divided by two sections...males and females. We didn't have a RA (resident assistant) on our floor, because in Leebrick you only had them every other floor. At first I didn't really talk to anyone. I did my own thing and so did everyone else. That was the nature of the dorm. The girls on my floor were all nursing students who got up at the crack of dawn and went to bed at a decent hour...long before I ever got home from work. I don't think I knew any of their names, besides Mary Beth. She lived directly next to me. She had a boyfriend named Jake, who was very quiet and reserved. When they were alone in her room sharing "private time" she was not so quiet and reserved! The whole 6th floor could hear her! It was embarrassing. I ran into Jake (not my husband) once in Akron. We talked for a long time. He said they had since broken up. I probably would have liked him but I just couldn't get over all the stuff I had heard between the two of them. He asked for my number, I told him I had a boyfriend. I didn't bother to tell him it was an imaginary boyfriend. Either way I made friends with these two guys named Gus & Tom, who lived on my floor. Gus was Greek Orthadox and Tom was from California. I spent all my time with these boys. We'd watch movies together, we'd go out to the bars together, we'd eat together, study together....it was crazy. We watched The Dukes of Hazzard each day. Gus ended up dating Brandy and another one of my friends (later down the road.) I think they liked hanging out with me because I had hot friends. They did tell me I had more beautiful friends than anyone they ever met! (Heather, Brandy, JenF, etc...) I was in some weird stage trying to be punk but not doing a very good job at it. I stuck out! One time Gus, Tom and I were out walking around campus in the middle of the night. We went over to the building where all the psych classes are (I can't remember the name even though I have a degree in Psychology and ALL of my classes were in that building!) For some reason it was open. So we went inside and went into this huge auditorium classroom. We sat there and talked, in the dark, smoking clove cigarettes for an hour or so. It was fun. At the end of the year Gus went home (maybe Brunswick???) and Tom went back to California. He never made it back to Ohio. He has emailed me a few times throughout the years. He's an artist and true to his artist nature. Gus stuck around and we talked every now and then but not too much. I have no idea where he is or what he is doing. I can only assume he is on drugs. He was also an artist.

Those were the days of Leebrick Hall. I was happy to move out of the dorm for the summer and I never went back to dorm living. One year was enough for me.

No comments: