Monday, February 20, 2006

J. the P. a.k.a. Jim the Pharmacist

Ex-men Monday is back. Toys R Us Kid(s) reminded me of a few men I should share with you. Throughout my life I have given nick names to a lot of people. Jim wasn't an exception. The first time we met I had taken a few friends and my friend Don had invited a few of his pals and we met in Cleveland at this place I think is called "The Wine Cave". I was a very classy bar. They served wines from all over the world and fancy appetizer. Cheese and stuff like that... It was not a place you would go and get drunk. They played classical music. I can't really recall what friends I took. I think it was Heather, Tiffany and Amanda but either way, one of the guys that came with Don was Jim. That night we gave him his nick name that stuck for years. During the evening he must have told us 20 times that he was a pharmacist. He was obviously proud of his profession. Well, that night he and I really hit it off. I had heard about him before but I hadn't actually met him. He seemed very nice and he was cute, too (in a Pharmacist kind of way). I left the Wine Cave quite smitten. The details are blurry but I think he started calling me soon after that. We would talk for hours. We definitely were headed for couplehood....well, at least I thought. We started hanging out in person. He lived in Lakewood and I lived in Peninsula so we had to make a real effort to see one another. I would talk to Don about Jim. He would warn me he would only break my heart...I should turn back now. Apparently Jim had a reputation of lovin' and leavin'. I ignored all warnings. So, things were always a little awkward with Jim the Pharmacist. I never really knew if he liked me as a girl or just as a friend. We were both total freaks about the whole thing. I would never bring up the subject, nor would he. Somehow along the path of friendship we started sharing about other people we were dating. He had some physical relationships he was very up front about. I dated other guys. But it always came back to J. the P. One of my boyfriends moved to Detroit for a job. We were going to try to "work it out". He came home after one week and dumped me. Jim took me to a hockey game to heal my broken heart. He was my wedding date. We went to 2 or 3 weddings together. Maybe even 4. Everyone raved about what a great couple we were...NON couple that is. He went to Vermilion with me once and met my parents. We went to movies and we rented movies and had them at home. We spent hours alone at his house. He is Greek. Very greek. He plays indoor soccer. One time Tiffany and Amanda went to see him play. He was very happy. He loved attention and he was arrogant (which made him even happier we were there to see him). Which is one reason I liked him. I really liked Jim. Anytime he would talk about another girl, I would cringe. He had to know! All my friends knew, my parents knew, my friends parents knew (afterall we had been to all their weddings!)...WHY didn't he know. I thought he liked me too but if he did he never let me know. We did kiss one time, at a party, after a few drinks. One kiss. We never discussed it. He really hurt my feelings because he started to like this girl that was a sister in law to one of my friends. The girl is cute but doesn't have a brain in her head. He even went out with her once. He talked about her a lot. I couldn't get mad because he wasn't mine but I was tired of the games (this had been going on for years!). So, I had a wedding coming up and I told him I was going to get a "real" date to take to the wedding. I went alone. That was the second to last time we talked. The last time, he called to tell me he was having a "Wine Party". I told him I would go but I never showed up. I was in a "funk" and didn't feel like going. So, I didn't go. He quit calling after that. I did call him when Jake and I got engaged(about 6-7 months after we last talked)...afterall, we were "just friends", I thought he would be happy for me. I just left a message and he never called back. No emails. Nothing. I guess he was really mad about that Wine Party. So, that is what happened to Jim the Pharmacist. Don and I email every now and then (well, it has been a while) but anytime I've asked about Jim he changes the subject or doesn't email me for a while. Maybe it is coincidence????? I don't know. Either way, he was the boyfriend that wasn't. Anyone else remember this guy?

2 comments:

amyd76 said...

I remember Jim the Pharmacist. I met him a couple of times. I know that one time we went to Denny's after on of your all's shindigs. He liked himself a whole lot...too much.

Anonymous said...

SIGH-he was a cutie though