Wednesday, February 15, 2006

STD's 101

In our Abstinence program, the third day of the 7th grade program is all about STD's. It is really one of my favorite days out of all the grades/ days. My job is to inform kids how not to get a STD. Easy enough, right? They are gross, no one would ever want one. Well...it is not that simple. Kids want to "play" but not reap the consequences. Also, I don't want to just gross the kids out and scare them (although the stuff is scary) but give them a reason not to take the risk of getting them. Don't we teach kids to look their fears in the face and to conquer them? So, logically scare tactics don't work and could even lead to unhealthy views of sex. Over the years I have evolved to my current teaching methods, which I find to be effective and quite captivating. I don't know if the kids agree but I haven't had any complaints. Either way, I don't sugar coat the facts and I do get pretty detailed when talking briefly about the symptoms. My main points of the day are:
  • There is only ONE 100% effective way not to get a STD.
  • Sexual Activity is not just "doing it". If you are one of those people that does all the "other" stuff but doesn't go all the way, you can get an STD from the "other" stuff.
  • There isn't one test for all STD's. Some involve internal exams, some urine tests, some blood tests and some can't even be detected by testing.
  • MOST STD'S DO NOT HAVE SYMPTOMS. Although they aren't showing symptoms, they can be transmitted to others and may be doing damage to your body that is not reversible.
  • When you have a pap smear they DO NOT test for STD's. You have to specifically ask to be tested. A pap smear is looking for abnormal cells (a.k.a. cancer). If you aren't comfortable talking to your parents or you doctor about this stuff you shouldn't be doing it.
  • Condoms provide little or NO protection against 2 STD's that are not curable (herpes & HPV). Condoms are not 99.9% effective like you were told. They are about 85% effective in preventing pregnancy (studies among mature responsible sober adults). But it doesn't matter because teens don't use them anyways. Either they get caught up in the moment and didn't plan to really have sex or they are too embarrassed to buy them or they don't have the money or they don't like the way they feel or they were too drunk.
  • 15 million Americans get an STD each year.

Those are my main points. Then I go over 9 STD's: gonorrhea, chlamydia, syphilis, PID, Pubic Lice, Herpes Simplex Virus 2, Hepatitis B, Venereal Warts and HIV/AIDS. My favorite to talk about is the warts. This morning in my first period class I was talking about all the STD's and I noticed a few people squirming. I usually note (mentally) who is responding in a negative way. I notice some kids looking very uncomfortable when I tell them if they have been sexually active they have to get check out. I noticed one girl in the front was looking nervous. She gets up during the middle of my lecture (remember I am talking about HPV). So this girl goes and tells the teacher she isn't feeling so good. The teacher is writing her a pass. I decide I should keep teaching. Well, I was saying where you can get these warts: genitals, scrotum, thighs, buttocks, throat, tongue, and esophogus. As soon as I say scrotum...Barf. Yes the girl puked on the floor. She kept gagging and puked pretty loud. It was green. I don't know why I told you that....I guess I want to invite some spontaneous barfing. Either way, nothing like that ever happened to me. Kinda crazy. I love my job. I do feel bad though, and it is possible she was just sick from the flu or something. Who knows.

Have a good day!

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Wow!! You are certainly pretty blunt with your abstinence classes. I guess you would have to be to get your point across.

I don't thonk I could talk to these kids about such subject matter so keep up the good work!!

Brad

Tim Appleton (Applehead) said...

Yes only you could teach that class. Wouldn't be col tp have a barf word? Where certain peeople hurl at certain word like scrotum.That would be funny.

amyd76 said...

When I was in 6th grade and we were having the "growing and being" lesson, a boy in my class passed out when he heard the word "uterus".

delilah said...

Blunt???? I was actually describing what a scrotum is when she barfed! I don't think she will ever forget that. I did have a kid start crying once, when I told the class about fertilization. I felt soooo bad at the time, but it is funny now.