Saturday, February 04, 2006

You Are What You Eat...

This is the THIRD time I posted this. I can't figure out the problem. It keeps disappearing.

Two things happened recently that led me to write this post. 1. Paul's blog about eating soggy Wheaties. 2. My cousin, Kelly's email (one of those annoying personality things I keep sending everyone) that asked your least favorite food. I have come to the conclusion...I have eaten some VERY disgusting foods. I think I could go on Fear Factor and do okay. I am going to list the grossest things I have consumed and you tell me the grossest things you have eaten. -

Pig Brains, mixed with eggs and fried. -
Cow Tongue -
Cow Heart -
Chicken Gizzard, Liver & Heart -
Squirrel -
Rabbit, I know, probably the most "normal" thing on the list, yet still gross. -
Carp, a Polish tradition on Christmas. -
Pigeon, a.k.a. squab, I had a soup with it in it. -
Souse meat (made by boiling a pigs entire head: snout, ears, skin, tongue) -
Pigs Feet (and they were pickled!) -
Frog Legs
I am sure I have eaten more gross things...I just can't remember them all.

Stuffed Squab
Ingredients1 squab Softened butter Salt and freshly ground black pepper Cooking InstructionsClean the squab, reserving the livers and giblets. Chop the liver and giblets fine, adding them to the same stuffing used for the turkey. Stuff the squab, and tie the legs with string. Rub the bird with melted butter, and season with salt and pepper. Roast in the pan along with the turkey at 400 degrees for 1 hour, basting occasionally.

SOUSE MEAT Cook hog head and ears well done; pull meat off bones, mash fine, add salt to taste, 1 1/2 cups of vinegar, red, black pepper and sage to taste. Refrigerate overnight.

BEEF TONGUE It's expensive, but there are no bones - it's all meat. 1 (2-3 lb.) beef tongue1/4 tsp. oregano1/2 tsp. salt1/4 tsp. marjoram1/4 tsp. summer savory Rinse tongue. Place in pressure cooker. Add water to cover. Add the remaining ingredients. Pressure cook 1 hour at 10 or 15 pounds. Remove from pan and allow to cool enough to handle. Remove connective tissues and skin. The skin should come off easily. Cut into 1/4-inch slices across it's length. At this point, the meat can be used as you desire. It makes excellent "cold cut"

2 comments:

Jake said...

The grossest thing I've had (to most people) is oysters. Now, I'm not talking about the oysters you get out of the ocean. I'm talking about Rocky Mountain Oysters. What are Rocky Mountain Oysters, you ask? They are testicles from a young bull, er should I say former bull. ha ha ha ;-)
They are quite good. I had them while in Leadville, Colorado at the High Country Restaurant. A favorite to stop at before hitting the trail.

amyd76 said...

I've had snails and a chocolate covered grasshopper. The grasshopper was pretty tasty-nutty even.